Table of Contents
Difference Between Pinocytosis and Receptor Mediated Endocytosis
- The pinocytosis pathway involves cell drinking, where only fluids and dissolved nutrients are taken into a cell.
- Cells used Receptor-mediated endocytosis process for selective internalization of specific molecules.
|Topic||Pinocytosis||Receptor Mediated Endocytosis|
|Definition||Pinocytosis refers to the ingestion of liquid into a cell by the budding of small vesicles from the cell membrane.||The receptor-mediated endocytosis refers to an endocytotic mechanism in which specific molecules are ingested into the cell.|
|Also Known as||Pinocytosis is also knwon as cell drinking||The receptor-mediated endocytosis is also known as clathrin-mediated endocytosis.|
|Components to be Uptaken||Pinocytosis mainly uptakes liquids.||Receptor-mediated endocytosis mainly uptakes solutes.|
|Receptor Involvement||The receptors are not involved in pinocytosis.||The receptors on the cell membrane do involve in receptor-mediated endocytosis.|
|Selectivity||Pinocytosis is not a selective process.||Receptor-mediated endocytosis is a selective process.|
|Solute Intake||Solutes in the extracellular fluid enter into the cell through pinocytosis.||Selected solutes bind to the receptors and enter the cell during receptor-mediated endocytosis.|
|Vesicle Formation||Vesicles form through the invagination of the plasma membrane.||Vesicles form through the internal budding of the plasma membrane|
|Efficiency||Pinocytosis is a less efficient process||Receptor-mediated endocytosis is an efficient process.|
Similarities of Pinocytosis and Receptor Mediated Endocytosis
- Both of them are methods of endocytosis.
- Both Pinocytosis and Receptor Mediated Endocytosis use the cell membrane for the process.
- Both of them help in the uptake of proteins and other substances that cannot easily diffuse into the cell through the plasma membrane.
- Both of them have a high demand for cellular energy and they are categorized under active transport methods.