What is a Mini Centrifuge?
A mini centrifuge is a small, portable device that is used to separate substances in a liquid mixture by spinning the mixture at high speeds. Mini centrifuges typically have a capacity of 1.5 to 2.0 mL and are used to quickly and efficiently separate small amounts of liquid samples, such as DNA, RNA, proteins, and other biomolecules. These devices are commonly found in laboratories, hospitals, and research institutions, and are used for a variety of applications, including DNA purification, protein separation, and cell culture. Mini centrifuges are generally compact, lightweight, and easy to use, making them a convenient tool for scientists and other professionals who need to process small samples on a regular basis.
Applications of Mini Centrifuge
Some common applications of mini centrifuges include:
- DNA and RNA purification: Mini centrifuges are often used to purify DNA and RNA samples, either by separating the samples from other contaminants or by concentrating the samples to a higher concentration.
- Protein separation: Mini centrifuges can be used to separate proteins from other biomolecules or contaminants, either by density gradient centrifugation or by affinity chromatography.
- Cell culture: Mini centrifuges can be used to separate cells from the culture media, either for further analysis or for preparation of cell lysates.
- Sample preparation: Mini centrifuges are often used to prepare samples for downstream analysis, such as PCR, Western blotting, or electrophoresis.
- Microfiltration: Mini centrifuges can be used to separate small particles or contaminants from a liquid sample, using microcentrifuge tubes or special filters.
- Blood testing: Mini centrifuges are used in hospitals and diagnostic laboratories to separate blood components, such as red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets.
- Environmental analysis: Mini centrifuges can be used to separate and analyze samples from environmental samples, such as water, soil, or air, for various chemical or biological contaminants.
Advantages of Mini Centrifuge
- Compact size: Mini centrifuges are small and portable, making them easy to use in a variety of settings and locations.
- High speed: Mini centrifuges can spin samples at high speeds, allowing for efficient separation and purification of small samples.
- Versatility: Mini centrifuges can be used for a wide range of applications, including DNA and RNA purification, protein separation, and cell culture.
- Easy to use: Mini centrifuges are generally simple to operate and require minimal training, making them suitable for use by scientists and other professionals with different levels of expertise.
- Cost-effective: Mini centrifuges are generally more affordable than larger centrifuges, making them a cost-effective choice for laboratories and other institutions with limited budgets.
Disadvantages of Mini Centrifuge
- Limited capacity: Mini centrifuges typically have a small capacity and can only process a limited number of samples at a time.
- Lower g-forces: Mini centrifuges may not be able to generate the same high g-forces as larger centrifuges, which may limit their usefulness for certain applications.
- Limited temperature control: Some mini centrifuges may not have the ability to control the temperature of the samples being processed, which can be important for certain applications.
- Noisy operation: Mini centrifuges can be noisy when in use, which may be a concern in some settings.
- Short lifespan: Mini centrifuges may not have the same lifespan as larger centrifuges, and may need to be replaced more frequently.
List of Top 10 Mini Centrifuge
Thermo Scientific Mini Centrifuge
The Thermo Scientific Mini Centrifuge is a compact and lightweight centrifuge that is suitable for processing small samples in a variety of applications. It has a capacity of 1.5 mL and can spin samples at speeds of up to 13,000 rpm, making it ideal for DNA and RNA purification, protein separation, and cell culture. The mini centrifuge is easy to use, with a simple control panel and clear LCD display, and it is equipped with a built-in timer and automatic shut-off feature for added convenience.
One of the standout features of the Thermo Scientific Mini Centrifuge is its reliability. The device has a robust design and is built to last, with a durable motor and high-quality components. It also has a low noise level, making it suitable for use in quiet environments, such as offices or labs.
Overall, the Thermo Scientific Mini Centrifuge is a reliable and versatile tool that is ideal for processing small samples in a variety of applications. It is easy to use and maintain, and it offers excellent value for money, making it a great choice for scientists and other professionals who need a reliable and cost-effective centrifuge.
Eppendorf MiniSpin Centrifuge
The Eppendorf MiniSpin Centrifuge is a small, portable centrifuge designed for quick and efficient separation of biological samples. It is commonly used in laboratories for applications such as DNA and RNA purification, protein separation, and cell separation. The MiniSpin Centrifuge has a maximum speed of 13,000 rpm and can accommodate microcentrifuge tubes ranging from 0.2 to 2.0 mL in size. It is also equipped with a timer and a locking lid for safety.
Benchmark Scientific Mini-Centrifuge
The Benchmark Scientific C1008 MyFuge Mini centrifuge is a personal centrifuge that virtually fits in the palm of your hand. Ideal for quick spin downs of micro tubes and PCR tubes, the MyFuge is extremely easy to use. Simply close the lid and the rotor instantly reaches 6,000 rpm. Open the lid, and the rotor quickly decelerates to a stop for removing samples. The C1008 has an increased capacity, eight-position micro tube rotor is included and comes installed. Also included is a second rotor for 0.2ml PCR tubes and strips which is stored (together with the rotor removal key) in a convenient compartment on the bottom of the centrifuge. When the rotor is not in use, storage in this compartment prevents loss or misplacement of the rotor.
Hettich Mini Centrifuge.
The EBA 200 and EBA 200 S are a practical centrifuges for use with small sample volumes. The centrifuge is supplied with an angle rotor that can hold up to eight 15 ml tubes.
She are the ideal centrifuges for medical practices.
The EBA 200 has a maximum RCF of 3.461 and can hold a variety of sample tubes. It can also hold glass tubes without the need for an adapter. Adapters for other blood collection tubes are also available on request.
The EBA 200 S maximum RCF is 6.153, so it is ideal for situations where speed is of the essence. Its high performance makes this centrifuge ideal for use in the emergency departments of hospitals. It enables samples for which a short turnaround time is required to be centrifuged rapidly. The plasma / serum is available for analysis after just a few minutes.
Both models are especial user friendly and offer comprehensive operating convenience:
- Simple entry of speed and run time
- The lid can be closed with one hand
- The lid is opened by pressing a button
- Pulse button for short centrifugation runs
- Practical E control panel: Parameters are entered via a foil keyboard
The EBA 200 and EBA 200 S have the following safety features to help safe working practices:
- Lid closure mechanism that meets accident prevention requirements.
- The lid locking mechanism only allows the lid to be opened after the rotor has come to a complete standstill
- The casing and lid are manufactured from an impact-resistant plastic
- Protection against overheating
She have a very small footprint and adapt into the workplace flexibly:
- She are small formats means it frees up space on the lab bench.
- They can be easily moved from one position to another.
- Hettich supplies the EBA 200 and EBA 200 S complete with rotor.
- No installation is required before the centrifuge can be used for the first time. She are easy to operate.
Use this economical and reliable mini centrifuge for most laboratory applications, including quick sample spin-downs and cell pelleting. This compact unit is provided with a microtube rotor that holds eight 2.0/1.5 ml tubes, a PCR strip tube rotor that holds 32 0.2 ml PCR tubes (individual tubes or 4 x 8 tube strips), and tube adapters for 0.5/0.6 ml, 0.4/0.25 ml, or 0.2 ml tubes.
The universal power adapter allows for use in North America, Australia, the European Union, and the United Kingdom.
Sigma-Aldrich Mini Centrifuge
The Sigma-Aldrich Mini Centrifuge is a small, portable centrifuge designed for quick and efficient separation of biological samples. It is commonly used in laboratories for applications such as DNA and RNA purification, protein separation, and cell separation. The Mini Centrifuge has a maximum speed of 13,000 rpm and can accommodate microcentrifuge tubes ranging from 0.2 to 2.0 mL in size. It is equipped with a timer and a locking lid for safety, and is suitable for use in a variety of settings, including hospitals, research institutions, and biotech companies.
VWR Mini Centrifuge
The VWR® Mini Centrifuge is designed for quick spin-downs of microcentrifuge tubes and PCR strips and tubes.
- Quick-release rotors; no tools required
- Eight position microtube rotor
- Spins up to 7500 rpm/3200 xg
- Decelerates in less than one second
- 2 year warranty
The VWR® Mini Centrifuge features two quick-release rotors (no tools required): a 8×1.5/2.0 ml rotor and a 32×0.2 ml PCR rotor which also accommodates 4 eight place PCR strips. Close the lid and the unit quickly accelerates to 7500 rpm (3200 rcf). Open the lid and the rotor quickly and smoothly decelerates to a complete stop in less than one second.
Labnet Mini Centrifuge
Simple and convenient to operate, the new Labnet mini microcentrifuges feature greater capacity (8-place MCT and 4-place PCR strip rotors), a quick-release rotor system and electronic brake.Once samples are loaded and the lid is closed, the rotor rapidly accelerates to 6,000 rpm, making it an ideal centrifuge for bringing small droplets to the bottom of tubes for micro-filtrations or basic separations.
Labnet has just launched our latest line of mini microcentrifuges! The new mini microcentrifuges will replace the current Spectrafuge™ Mini Centrifuges. Click the Product Documents tab below to view a comparison of product features.
The new mini microcentrifuges come with a 2-year warranty.
Mini Microcentrifuge Product Features:
- Quick release rotor system – no tools needed to exchange rotors
- Electronic braking – Allows for more rapid deceleration, less waiting
- Dual lid switch
- Compact, rugged design
Remi Mini Centrifuge
- Microprocessor controlled with last run memory feature
- Large back-lit LCD display shows multiple parameters at a time
- Brushless DC motor – maintenance free, delivers better power to weight ratio and fit for extended runs
- Imbalance detection with auto cut off
- Lid lock safety – Lid opens automatically on run completion
- Intuitive simple interface for quick and convenient setting
- 1 to 999 Mins countdown timer with Min sec display
- One touch Short – Spin operation
- Extremely compact footprint saves valuable bench space – suitable for use in fume hoods or cold rooms
- Unique airflow design – ensures lesser heat generation and lesser noise
- Rotor, inner centrifuge lid and lid latch are made of metal for maximum operational safety
- Soft – touch lid closure for ergonomic lid locking
- Settable RPM/RCF