Table of Contents
- Biomagnification is the accumulation of certain chemical compounds or poisons at the higher trophic levels of a food chain. This phenomenon is also known as biological magnification.
- The chemical substances contain elevated concentrations of some poisons, heavy metals, mercury, and other dangerous substances.
- As these toxins multiply and accumulate, they ascend the food chain.
- When these tainted compounds are ingested by creatures at different levels of a food chain, substantial health risks arise.
- Bioaccumulation is the process of collecting hazardous chemicals such as pollution, pesticides, and other poisons directly into the human body through the air, water, food consumption, or the skin.
- As this toxin accumulates in the human body, the danger of chronic poisoning and other severe diseases grows.